Wesleyan Church of America
In 1843, some members of the Methodist Episcopal Church left to establish the Wesleyan Methodist Church, the predecessor of the Wesleyan Church of America. The principal reason for this separation was the strong opposition to slavery and wide support for women's rights among the people who came to call themselves Wesleyan Methodists. In 1848, the first women's rights convention in United States history took place at the Wesleyan Chapel in Seneca Falls, New York. In 1856, at Oberlin College, in Oberlin, Ohio, the Wesleyan Methodist Church ordained the first woman minister in the United States.
Over its history, the Wesleyan Methodist Church has expanded its numbers. In 1966, the Wesleyan Methodist Church united with the Alliance of Reformed Baptists of Canada, and two years later, the Wesleyans joined with the Pilgrim Holiness Church. Today, the Wesleyan Methodist Church is known as the Wesleyan Church of America. This institution helps sponsor Allegheny Wesleyan College in Salem, Ohio. Ohio Wesleyans are part the Greater Ohio District of the church.