In 1827, the United States Congress gave the State of Ohio 31,360 acres of Congress Lands. This grant became known as the Turnpike Lands.
The reason for the exchange of the Turnpike Lands was to help facilitate the construction of a road from Columbus, Ohio to Sandusky, Ohio, helping to speed transportation from Northern Ohio to Columbus, the state's capital city. The Turnpike Lands were located in modern-day Seneca, Crawford, and Marion Counties, Ohio. The 31,360 acres of land comprised forty-nine sections as established by the Land Ordinance of 1785.
- Pearson, F.B., and J.D. Harlor. Ohio History Sketches. Columbus, OH: Fred J. Heer, 1903.