Treaty of St. Mary's (1817)

From Ohio History Central
Revision as of 15:42, 7 August 2015 by SPagano (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

The Treaty of St. Mary's was signed on September 29, 1817. It was a supplement to the Treaty of the Maumee Rapids of 1817. In the Treaty of St. Mary's, the United States granted the Wyandot (Huron), the Seneca, the Shawnee, and the Ottawa additional sums of money for their lands. In addition, the United States agreed to change the terms of the original treaty. The parcels of land that the United States set aside for the Wyandot at Upper Sandusky and for the Shawnee at Wapakoneta were not to be grants of land that the Native Americans could only use for a period of time. Instead, they were sections of land that the American Indians would own. The United States agreed to make these places American Indian reservations. Finally, it was agreed to set aside some additional land for the American Indians to use as well.

See Also

References

  1. Hurt, R. Douglas. The Ohio Frontier: Crucible of the Old Northwest, 1720-1830. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, 1996.
  2. Vogel, John J. Indians of Ohio and Wyandot County. New York, NY: Vantage Press, 1975.