Treaty of Fort Industry (1805)
The Treaty of Fort Industry was signed on July 4, 1805. In this treaty, representatives of the Wyandot (Huron), Ottawa, Objibwe (Chippewa), Munsee, Lenape (Delaware), Potawatomi, and Shawnee relinquished one-half million acres of land south of Lake Erie and west of the Cuyahoga River in northeastern Ohio. This land was part of the Connecticut Western Reserve.
The United States government agreed to make payments of one thousand dollars each year to the Wyandot, Munsee, Lenape, and Shawnee nations. The Ottawa, Objibwe (Chippewa), and Potawatomi groups then living along the Huron River received a payment of four thousand dollars and six yearly payments of two thousand dollars. These American Indian groups still -- at least by decree of the treaty -- kept the right to hunt and fish on the land.
Tarhe, Blue Jacket, and Black Hoof were among the signers of the Treaty of Fort Industry.
- Edmunds, R. David. The Potawatomis: Keepers of the Fire. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1978.
- Hurt, R. Douglas. The Ohio Frontier: Crucible of the Old Northwest, 1720-1830. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, 1996.
- Tooker, Elisabeth. An Ethnography of the Huron Indians, 1615-1649. Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press, 1991.
- Vogel, John J. Indians of Ohio and Wyandot County. New York, NY: Vantage Press, 1975.