Changes

Coon Mound

70 bytes removed, 19:55, 31 October 2013
no edit summary
{{infobox
| image = [[File:Coon Mound.jpg]]
| caption = Coon Mound
}}
<p>The Coon Mound was a large, conical burial mound located in The Plains in Athens County, Ohio. It was named for Gabriel Coon, the owner of the land that included the mound. The Plains is a broad section of floodplain along the Hocking River bordered by high hills. In this two-mile long stretch of valley there were 11 earthen enclosures and 17 mounds, so the Coon Mound was part of a larger ceremonial landscape.</p>
<p>Originally, the Coon Mound was about 30 feet high and 158 feet in its longest diameter. Prior to 1930, the mound had been cut into for the construction of a road and local residents were digging into it to get topsoil for their gardens.</p>