Fort Duquesne was a French fort in western Pennsylvania in the French and Indian War (1756-1763).
During the late 1740s, William Trent, an Englishman engaged in the fur trade with Ohio Country Indians, built a trading post at the headwaters of the Ohio River (modern-day Pittsburgh). Trent and the other English traders quickly prospered. They could easily trade with Ohio Country natives and others in northwestern Pennsylvania via the two rivers - the Allegheny and the Monongahela ' that came together here to form the Ohio River.
Fort Pitt remained under England's control until the American Revolution, when the colonists took possession of it. The fort served as an important trading post with the Ohio Country natives for both the English and the Americans. As more and more Americans sought to improve their fortunes by moving into the Ohio Country, Indians began to attack the settlers. The fort's garrison actively protected people moving into the region. In the mid-1770s, the English renamed the installation Fort Dunmore. John Murray, Lord Dunmore, served as the royal governor of New York and later in Virginia. Once the colonists declared their independence, they renamed the fortification Fort Pitt.
[[Category:Exploration To Statehood]]