Shannopin's Town was a Lenape (Delaware) village. It was located near the site of modern-day Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The village was along the Allegheny River, approximately two miles away from this river's junction with the Monongahela River. During the 1700s, western Pennsylvania was the site of a number of Lenape (Delaware) villages. The Lenape had fled westward to avoid the Iroquois and British colonists, but settlers soon began to migrate to western Pennsylvania as well. First came the fur traders, but farmers soon also joined in the migration. Under the pressure of these intrusions, Lenape and other American Indian tribes moved further west, settling in the Ohio Country.
- Hurt, R. Douglas. The Ohio Frontier: Crucible of the Old Northwest, 1720-1830. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, 1996.