North and East of the First Principal Meridian District
The South and East of the First Principal Meridian District and the North and East of the First Principal Meridian District were two land divisions in the Northwest Territory.
As the Northwest Territory was organized in the late 1700s, the federal government sold large portions of land to private companies and individuals. The purchasers included the Ohio Company of Associates, the Scioto Company, land speculator John Cleves Symmes, and numerous other businesses and people. Individual states, including Connecticut and Virginia, also held claims in the territory. The United States government held the remaining land and slowly sold it. Some of the money paid off debts left over from the American Revolution. American Indians occupied much of these lands during the early years of settlement, but they were gradually forced out as more white settlers moved into Ohio.
Ohio lands were surveyed and sold by the federal government, private individuals, and by the states of Virginia and Connecticut. Since parts of the state were surveyed at different times, Ohio was divided into areas called survey "districts" or "land grants." Among these districts were the South and East of the First Principal Meridian District and the North and East of the First Principal Meridian District. These two districts consisted of Congress Lands. Congress Lands consisted of land owned by the federal government. The South and East of the First Principal Meridian District and the North and East of the First Principal Meridian District were located in modern-day northwestern Ohio. In 1795, the United States government promised this land to American Indians in the Treaty of Greeneville. Over the succeeding decades, via contract breaches and renegotiations on the part of the U.S. government, and an almost constant onslaught of Anglo-American settlers into the region, most of this land became open for white settlement, and many Ohio's American Indian peoples were forcibly removed elsewhere.