Difference between revisions of "Newcomerstown, Ohio"

From Ohio History Central
 
Line 2: Line 2:
 
| image = [[File:Newcomerstown map.jpg]]
 
| image = [[File:Newcomerstown map.jpg]]
 
}}
 
}}
<p>Newcomerstown began as a small village east of modern-day Coshocton. In 1750, Christopher Gist reported that a small number of English colonists nearby. Among them was Thomas Burney, a blacksmith. Burney made a living providing local natives, especially the Delaware Indians, and English and French trappers engaged in the fur trade, with products in return for furs. No later than the 1760s, Delaware chief Newcomer constructed a native village. The native name of Newcomerstown was Gekelmukpechunk, although white settlers and traders named it Newcomerstown after the Delaware chieftain. It quickly grew to become the largest Delaware village on the Tuscarawas River. By 1771, more than one hundred dwellings had been built. In 1776, more than seven hundred Delawares and a handful of whites called the town home. Newcomerstown declined in importance during the American Revolution, as the Delaware Indians began to consolidate in villages closer to Coshocton.</p>
+
<p>Newcomerstown began as a small village east of modern-day Coshocton. In 1750, Christopher Gist reported that a small number of English colonists nearby. Among them was Thomas Burney, a blacksmith. Burney made a living providing local American Indian and trading groups -- especially the Lenape; and English and French trappers engaged in the fur trade -- with products in return for furs. No later than the 1760s, Lenape Newcomer constructed a vilage on the site. The original Lenape name of the town that became eventually known as Newcomerstown was &quot;Gekelmukpechunk&quot;, although white settlers and traders named it Newcomerstown after the English exonym of the Lenape chieftain. Gekelmukpechunk quickly grew to become the largest Lenape village on the Tuscarawas River. By 1771, more than one hundred dwellings had been built. In 1776, more than seven hundred Lenape and a handful of whites called the town home. Newcomerstown declined in importance during the American Revolution, as the Lenape began to consolidate in villages closer to Coshocton.</p>
 
==See Also==
 
==See Also==
 
<div class="seeAlsoText">
 
<div class="seeAlsoText">

Latest revision as of 15:18, 7 August 2015

Newcomerstown map.jpg

Newcomerstown began as a small village east of modern-day Coshocton. In 1750, Christopher Gist reported that a small number of English colonists nearby. Among them was Thomas Burney, a blacksmith. Burney made a living providing local American Indian and trading groups -- especially the Lenape; and English and French trappers engaged in the fur trade -- with products in return for furs. No later than the 1760s, Lenape Newcomer constructed a vilage on the site. The original Lenape name of the town that became eventually known as Newcomerstown was "Gekelmukpechunk", although white settlers and traders named it Newcomerstown after the English exonym of the Lenape chieftain. Gekelmukpechunk quickly grew to become the largest Lenape village on the Tuscarawas River. By 1771, more than one hundred dwellings had been built. In 1776, more than seven hundred Lenape and a handful of whites called the town home. Newcomerstown declined in importance during the American Revolution, as the Lenape began to consolidate in villages closer to Coshocton.

See Also

References

  1. Howe, Henry. Historical Collections of Ohio in Two Volumes. Vol. II. Cincinnati, OH: C.J. Krehbiel & Co., Printers and Binders, 1902.
  2. Hurt, R. Douglas. The Ohio Frontier: Crucible of the Old Northwest, 1720-1830. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, 1996.