Mount Sterling, Ohio
Mount Sterling is a community in Madison County, Ohio.
Prior to the arrival of white settlers, the Wyandot Indians principally inhabited the area that now includes Mount Sterling. Whites drove most of the Wyandots and other Indian groups from the region during the War of 1812, and white settlers soon arrived in increasing numbers. In 1828, John J. Smith, a resident of Kentucky, established Mount Sterling in the southeastern corner of Madison County. Smith named the town after Mount Sterling, Kentucky.
Mount Sterling grew slowly. By 1880, the village had just 482 residents. The town also contained one newspaper, one bank, and three churches. Several industries, including gristmills and flourmills, existed in the community.
For the first decades of the twentieth century, Mount Sterling remained a small community. This began to change following World War II. At this time in United States history, more and more Americans could afford automobiles. Many Mount Sterling residents began to commute to jobs in Columbus, Ohio, a short distance to the east. In many respects, today, Mount Sterling has become a bedroom community of Columbus, with a large number of Mount Sterling's approximately 1,900 residents finding employment in Ohio's capital city or its suburbs.
- Howe, Henry. Historical Collections of Ohio in Two Volumes. Vol. II. Cincinnati, OH: C.J. Krehbiel & Co., Printers and Binders, 1902.