Mineral Springs Health Resort
Located near Peebles in Adams County, Ohio, Sodaville, which eventually became known as the Mineral Springs Health Resort, was a prominent resort community known for its mineral springs.
In 1840, local businessman Charles Matheny first began to promote the healthy qualities of the nearby mineral springs. Throughout the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, many people believed that mineral springs had special medicinal qualities. In 1864, investors completed a hotel near the springs and named the resort Sodaville. Eventually Sodaville became known as the Mineral Springs Health Resort. Due to the popularity of the resort, owner Smith Grimes constructed an additional hotel in 1904. The original hotel burned in 1924, and began the decline of the Mineral Springs Health Resort. In 1940, the resort closed.