In 1870, the Ohio legislature chartered a university in Cincinnati, Ohio. Originally known as McMicken University, a month after the college's founding, the university's board of directors changed the institution's name to the University of Cincinnati. McMicken University was named for Charles McMicken, who had donated approximately one million dollars to the city to form a university. Although McMicken had made his donation during the 1850s, the city did not establish the McMicken School of Drawing and Design until 1869. When the Ohio legislature authorized the formation of a public university in Cincinnati, the University of Cincinnati absorbed the McMicken School of Drawing and Design. In 1887, the McMicken School of Drawing and Design formally became the Art Academy of Cincinnati and was no longer affiliated with the University of Cincinnati.