Marietta College is one of Ohio's oldest continually operating institutions of higher education.
In 1830, the Reverend Luther Bingham established the Institute for Education. Bingham was a pastor in the Congregationalist Church and sought to educate others in his church's beliefs. Unfortunately for Bingham, his school failed financially in 1832. Local citizens in Marietta then created the Marietta Collegiate Institute and Western Teachers' Seminary, a non-denominational institution. In 1835, this college became known simply as Marietta College.
At first, Marietta College included both a preparatory school as well as a traditional college. The institution grew quickly. In 1846, sixty undergraduates and 117 preparatory students attended the school.
Throughout its history, Marietta College has emphasized a commitment to a liberal arts education. The institution has desired to create a well-rounded student, knowledgeable in a wide variety of subjects. In 2005, Marietta College offered both undergraduate and graduate degrees, and the school boasted an enrollment of 1,300 full-time students.