Hillel Foundation

From Ohio History Central
Revision as of 15:41, 23 May 2013 by Admin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Kaplan, Harry and Students.jpg
Rabbi Harry Kaplan leading Jewish students who were members of the B' Nai B' Rith Hillel Foundation at Ohio

State University in a religious service, ca. 1940-1960.

In 1925, the B'nai B'rith-Hillel Foundation formed. A Jewish organization, also known as just the Hillel Foundation, this group sponsors social, religious, and cultural activities for college students. Individual B'nai B'rith-Hillel Foundation chapters implement programs to educate both Jewish and non-Jewish students on Judaism and provide Jewish students with the chance to develop friendships and support systems. The first B'nai B'rith-Hillel Foundation student group formed in 1923 on the campus of the University of Illinois, and due to this group’s success the B'nai B'rith-Hillel Foundation came into existence. Most major Ohio colleges and universities have an Hillel organization on their campus.

See Also