During the War of 1812, General William Henry Harrison ordered the construction of a road connecting his troops with supply bases located in central, southern, and eastern Ohio. Harrison's Road passed through Defiance and Piqua. The road was by no means a major thoroughfare. It did, however, help advance settlement in the northern portion of Ohio. Settlers now had a path to follow northward, making it somewhat easier for them to transport their belongings. They also had quicker access to the more settled areas of Ohio. Most of the people moving northward were seeking farmland. Harrison's Road assisted these people in transporting their crops to their markets. Many soldiers who served under Harrison during the War of 1812 returned upon the war's conclusion to claim the choicest parcels of land, territory that they had first laid eyes upon while marching along Harrison's Road.