Great Circle Earthworks

From Ohio History Central
Revision as of 16:18, 24 April 2013 by (Talk)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
File:Great Circle Newark.jpg
The Great Circle at Newark is four football fields across. At the center of the Great Circle is a mound called Eagle Mound. Eagle Mound is probably not an effigy mound, but it has an unusual shape.

The Great Circle is a large earthen enclosure that formed one part of the Newark Earthworks. The Newark site is the largest set of geometric earthworks built by the Hopewell culture (100 B.C. to 500 A.D.) of prehistoric Native American people. It is 1,200 feet across and the circular wall varies in height from five to 14 feet. There is a ditch or moat at the base of the wall inside the enclosure that varies in depth from eight to 13 feet.

Archaeological excavations conducted in 1992 revealed that the Great Circle is composed of different colored soils. The outer portion of the wall is made of dark brown earth, while the inner portion is made from bright, yellow-brown earth. These different colors may have had special symbolic meanings to the people who built the walls.

Eagle Mound is a low mound located at the center of the Great Circle. It consists of three lobes that some people have seen to be a bird's body with two outstretched wings. Its resemblance to an eagle is questionable. It was excavated in 1928 by archaeologists with the Ohio Historical Society. They discovered the remains of a wooden structure at the base of the mound that was likely a council house or ceremonial structure. The archaeologists restored the mound at the completion of their studies.

The people of Licking County saved the Great Circle from destruction by building the county fairgrounds on the site in 1854. In 1932, the fairgrounds closed and the land was transferred to the Ohio Historical Society. The site is open to visitation by the public.

The Great Circle Earthworks, as part of the Newark Earthworks, is a National Historic Landmark. It is near the communities of Newark and Heath, in Licking County, on State Route 79. [[Category:{$topic}]]