Following the Northwest Ordinance of 1787, the federal government opened the Northwest Territory to settlement by white Americans. Numerous white Americans either purchased or received land from the Confederation Congress and then, beginning in 1789, the United States government. One such group to receive land was the Moravians.
The Moravian Grant was located in three sections in modern-day Tuscarawas County, Ohio. One grant included the Moravian settlement of Gnadenhutten; another one consisted of the settlement of Salem; while the final one comprised another Moravian settlement at Schoenbrunn. Together, these three grants included twelve thousand acres of land. During the 1770s, Moravian missionaries established Schoenbrunn, Salem, and Gnadenhutten to convert Delaware natives to the Christian faith. During the 1780s, some Christian Delawares still resided in these villages, and the federal government allowed them to remain there by issuing the Schoenbrunn Grant, the Salem Grant, and the Gnadenhutten Grant. Combined, these grants were known as the Moravian Grant.
- Pearson, F.B., and J.D. Harlor. Ohio History Sketches. Columbus, OH: Fred J. Heer, 1903.
- Zeisberger, David. Schoenbrunn Story: Excerpts from the Diary of the Reverend David Zeisberger, 1772-1777, at Schoenbrunn in the Ohio Country. Columbus: Ohio Historical Society, 1972.