Geological Survey of Ohio

From Ohio History Central
Revision as of 15:59, 11 July 2013 by SPosmontier (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

The Geological Survey of Ohio was established in 1837 by the Ohio Legislature to investigate the mineral resources of the state. These pioneering geologists, under the leadership of William W. Mather, prepared two reports that outlined the basics of the geology of Ohio and the distribution of economic mineral resources. The survey was discontinued after 1838. In 1869, the Geological Survey of Ohio was re-established under the direction of John Strong Newberry and prepared several detailed, comprehensive reports on the geology, mineral resources, and fossils of Ohio. The survey was once again discontinued but eventually reorganized in 1882 under the direction of Edward Orton. In 1901 the Ohio Geological Survey was established as a permanent organization that continues to the present as the Division of Geological Survey of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.

See Also