Geological Survey of Ohio
File:Wheaton, John Maynard.jpg|
Carte de visite of noted ornithologist John Maynard Wheaton, ca. 1864-1867. He was a collector of birds and other animals and authored "Report on Ohio Birds," which was included in the Geological Survey of Ohio in 1882. Wheaton was also a founding member of the American Ornithologists Union.
The Geological Survey of Ohio was established in 1837 by the Ohio Legislature to investigate the mineral resources of the state. These pioneering geologists, under the leadership of William W. Mather, prepared two reports that outlined the basics of the geology of Ohio and the distribution of economic mineral resources. The survey was discontinued after 1838. In 1869, the Geological Survey of Ohio was re-established under the direction of John Strong Newberry and prepared several detailed, comprehensive reports on the geology, mineral resources, and fossils of Ohio. The survey was once again discontinued but eventually reorganized in 1882 under the direction of Edward Orton. In 1901 the Ohio Geological Survey was established as a permanent organization that continues to the present as the Division of Geological Survey of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.