Difference between revisions of "File:Cincinnati Reds Stadium - Crosley Field.jpg"

From Ohio History Central
(Talk)
 
m (Text replacement - "Ohio Historical Society" to "Ohio History Connection")
 
(5 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{Information
 
{{Information
|description=An exterior view of Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio, taken April 15, 1941.
+
|description=Reverse reads: "Opening Game. Apr. 15-41. Western ave side of of Cin.Ball park." Fans wait in line outside the Western avenue side of Crosley Field for the opening game between the Cincinnati Reds and the St. Louis Cardinals on April 15, 1941. Crosley Field is located at the corner of Western Avenue and Findley Street in Cincinnati, Ohio. Originally named Redland Field, this steel and concrete Major League Baseball park was designed by architect Henry Hake and cost $225, 000 to build. It was renamed Crosley Field in 1934, when the team was bought by local businessman Powel Crosley Jr., who's ownership saw some important structural renovations to the building. It 1935, lights were added to allow for games to be played at night, in order to increase attendance during the Depression. Crosley Field was also used for other events throughout the years. Crosley Field was one of the smallest parks in the MLB, in both capacity and field size, and was notorious for "the terrace", a fifteen degree incline in left field. The last game at Crosley Field was played June 24, 1970, and the team moved to Riverside Stadium. It was destroyed on April 19, 1972 and today seven buildings and a street occupy the place where it stood.
 
|date=2/2/2007 11:38
 
|date=2/2/2007 11:38
|source=Ohio Historical Society AL06182
+
|source=Ohio History Connection AL06182. Ohio Guide Collection.
 
}}  
 
}}  
 
[[Category:History Images]]
 
[[Category:History Images]]

Latest revision as of 10:22, 24 March 2015

Description

Reverse reads: "Opening Game. Apr. 15-41. Western ave side of of Cin.Ball park." Fans wait in line outside the Western avenue side of Crosley Field for the opening game between the Cincinnati Reds and the St. Louis Cardinals on April 15, 1941. Crosley Field is located at the corner of Western Avenue and Findley Street in Cincinnati, Ohio. Originally named Redland Field, this steel and concrete Major League Baseball park was designed by architect Henry Hake and cost $225, 000 to build. It was renamed Crosley Field in 1934, when the team was bought by local businessman Powel Crosley Jr., who's ownership saw some important structural renovations to the building. It 1935, lights were added to allow for games to be played at night, in order to increase attendance during the Depression. Crosley Field was also used for other events throughout the years. Crosley Field was one of the smallest parks in the MLB, in both capacity and field size, and was notorious for "the terrace", a fifteen degree incline in left field. The last game at Crosley Field was played June 24, 1970, and the team moved to Riverside Stadium. It was destroyed on April 19, 1972 and today seven buildings and a street occupy the place where it stood.

Source

Ohio History Connection AL06182. Ohio Guide Collection.

Date

2/2/2007 11:38

Author
Permission
(Reusing this file)

See below.


File history

Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.

Date/TimeThumbnailDimensionsUserComment
current20:03, 24 April 2013Thumbnail for version as of 20:03, 24 April 2013441 × 360 (41 KB)Maintenance script (Talk)Importing image file
  • You cannot overwrite this file.

There are no pages that link to this file.

Metadata