Energy Minerals

From Ohio History Central
Revision as of 15:27, 23 May 2013 by Admin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Coal, petroleum oil and natural gas are the three energy minerals that are produced in Ohio.


First coal production in Ohio:About 1800
Number of mines in 1997:142
First oil production:1860
First natural gas production:1884
New oil and gas wells drilled in 1997:638


Coal mining in Ohio began around 1800. In 1997, Ohio ranked 11th in the United States in production of coal. Fifty-two companies produced coal at 142 mines in 22 of Ohio's 88 counties. The five leading counties in coal production were Belmont, Meigs, Vinton, Monroe and Harrison Counties. Since 1816, Belmont County has produced the largest total amount of coal of any county in Ohio. Approximately 52% of the coal produced in Ohio comes from surface mines. The remaining 48% is from underground mines. Ohio ranks third nationally in the use of coal, following Texas and Indiana. Ohio uses coal to generate more than 55% of its electricity. In 1994, producers of electricity in Ohio used more than 56 million tons. Most of Ohio's coal is used for the generation of electricity, while some is used for making steel.

Petroleum Oil and Natural Gas

In 1860, production of oil in Ohio began with the discovery of oil that was suitable for profitable production. That was in Macksburg in Washington County. The first production of gas in Ohio was in 1884. Since their discovery in Ohio, both oil and gas have continued to be important energy minerals in the state's economy. Peak production for oil was in 1896; for gas it was in 1984. In 1998, Ohio had 63,267 active wells.

In 1998, Ohio's Oil and Gas Industry drilled 514 wells in 40 counties. Washington County was the most active county with 47 wells drilled.

See Also