Difference between revisions of "Edmont Manufacturing Company"

From Ohio History Central
 
Line 1: Line 1:
{{infobox
+
<p>In 1933, Edward Montgomery began experimenting with covering cotton gloves with vulcanized rubber. His experiments initially took place in his garage, but upon perfecting the process, Montgomery eventually moved the operation to an abandoned foundry in Coshocton, Ohio. By coating the cotton gloves in latex, Montgomery enhanced the gloves' durability. </p>
| image = [[File:.]]
+
<p>In 1934, Montgomery established the Edmont Manufacturing Company. In 1951, he relocated his business to new facilities in Coshocton. Over the next several years, the Edmont Manufacturing Company emerged as the world's largest producer of coated gloves. In 1966, Montgomery retired from the business and sold it to Becton, Dickinson and Company. In 1989, Pacific Dunlop, Lt. acquired the business and created Ansell Edmont Industrial. </p>
}}
+
<p>In 1933, Edward Montgomery began experimenting with covering cotton gloves with vulcanized rubber. His experiments initially took place in his garage, but upon perfecting the process, Montgomery eventually moved the operation to an abandoned foundry in Coshocton, Ohio. By coating the cotton gloves in latex, Montgomery enhanced the gloves' durability. </p>  
+
<p>In 1934, Montgomery established the Edmont Manufacturing Company. In 1951, he relocated his business to new facilities in Coshocton. Over the next several years, the Edmont Manufacturing Company emerged as the world's largest producer of coated gloves. In 1966, Montgomery retired from the business and sold it to Becton, Dickinson and Company. In 1989, Pacific Dunlop, Lt. acquired the business and created Ansell Edmont Industrial. </p>  
+
 
<p>Upon retiring, Montgomery used proceeds from the sale of Edmont Manufacturing Company to restore Roscoe Village, a recreated canal town in Coshocton. </p>
 
<p>Upon retiring, Montgomery used proceeds from the sale of Edmont Manufacturing Company to restore Roscoe Village, a recreated canal town in Coshocton. </p>
 
==See Also==
 
==See Also==
Line 11: Line 8:
 
*[[Roscoe Village]]
 
*[[Roscoe Village]]
 
</div>
 
</div>
[[Category:History Organizations]][[Category:Great Depression and World War II]]
+
[[Category:History Organizations]][[Category:Great Depression and World War II]][[Category:Business and Industry]][[Category:Science and Medicine]]
[[Category:Business and Industry]]
+
[[Category:Science and Medicine]]
+

Latest revision as of 14:43, 23 May 2013

In 1933, Edward Montgomery began experimenting with covering cotton gloves with vulcanized rubber. His experiments initially took place in his garage, but upon perfecting the process, Montgomery eventually moved the operation to an abandoned foundry in Coshocton, Ohio. By coating the cotton gloves in latex, Montgomery enhanced the gloves' durability.

In 1934, Montgomery established the Edmont Manufacturing Company. In 1951, he relocated his business to new facilities in Coshocton. Over the next several years, the Edmont Manufacturing Company emerged as the world's largest producer of coated gloves. In 1966, Montgomery retired from the business and sold it to Becton, Dickinson and Company. In 1989, Pacific Dunlop, Lt. acquired the business and created Ansell Edmont Industrial.

Upon retiring, Montgomery used proceeds from the sale of Edmont Manufacturing Company to restore Roscoe Village, a recreated canal town in Coshocton.

See Also