Churches of Christ in Christian Union

On September 20, 1909, the Churches of Christ in Christian Union formed in Ohio. This organization established its headquarters at Washington Court House, Ohio. The Churches of Christ in Christian Union grew out of the Christian Union Church, which formed in 1865, following the American Civil War. By the first decade of the 1900s, the Christian Union Church was in decline, and several churches united together under the leadership of James McKibban to establish the Churches of Christ in Christian Union.

For most of its history, the Churches of Christ in Christian Union has remained relatively small when compared to other Christian denominations. In 1915, only forty churches belonged to Churches of Christ in Christian Union. The number of churches increased to sixty by 1925. Throughout the first part of the twentieth century, members of the Churches of Christ in Christian Union engaged in missionary activities, actively seeking new converts. Camp meetings became commonplace. Most of the Churches of Christ in Christian Union's activities focused on Ohio, although this religious group also held revivals in states like Tennessee and New York. The organization also formed institutions of higher education, including Circleville Bible College, which opened in 1948 in Circleville, Ohio.

From its beginnings, the Churches of Christ in Christian Union called for the suffrage of women, the end to secret societies like the Ku Klux Klan, and abstinence from alcohol and tobacco products. This religious denomination now includes two hundred churches. The national headquarters of the Churches of Christ in Christian Union is located at Ohio Christian University, formerly Circleville Bible College.

See Also