Carrollton, Ohio

From Ohio History Central
Revision as of 15:18, 24 April 2013 by (Talk)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Carroll County map.jpg

Carrollton is the county seat of Carroll County, Ohio. Founded in 1815, Carrollton originally was known as Centretown. Upon the formation of Carroll County in 1832, Centretown residents changed the community's name to Carrollton. The town grew slowly, having only eight hundred residents in 1840. By 1846, the community consisted of just four churches, six retail stores, and two printing shops.

Despite eventually having a railroad that connected Carrollton with the rest of Ohio, the town remained small throughout the nineteenth century. In 1880, only 1,136 people resided in the town. Approximately one-third of these people were school-aged children. Three newspapers, five churches, and one bank existed in the town. In October 1887, the townspeople boasted that no saloons existed in their community and that there was not a single criminal in the county jail, which was located in Carrollton. Some of Ohio's [[Category:{$topic}]]