Campus Martius

Campus Martius.jpg

Campus Martius was the name the settlers of Marietta gave to the fortifications they built to protect their new settlement.

Campus Martius was chosen as a reference to the civilization of ancient Rome. Located within the settlement, Campus Martius was intended to provide protection from American Indian attacks. Log walls surrounded the outside of the fortifications, and within their confines were four blockhouses. In the early days of the settlement, one of the blockhouses served as the community's school and another as a church. Campus Martius was also the original location for town meetings, the New Englanders' form of local government, and the first court in the region.

The Ohio History Connection currently operates a museum at Campus Martius, in partnership with The Friends of the Museums. One of the original houses of Campus Martius has been preserved and can be toured by visitors to the museum.

See Also

References

  1. Howe, Henry. Historical Collections of Ohio in Two Volumes. Vol. II. Cincinnati, OH: C.J. Krehbiel & Co., Printers and Binders, 1902.
  2. Hurt, R. Douglas. The Ohio Frontier: Crucible of the Old Northwest, 1720-1830. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, 1996.