Camp Dennison

From Ohio History Central
Revision as of 17:16, 4 April 2017 by Admin (Talk | contribs) (References)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Camp Dennison (LC).jpg
View of Camp Dennison:/ 16 Miles Northeast of Cincinnati, Ohio

Camp Dennison was a Union Army training camp during the American Civil War. It was located in the town of Germany, Ohio, sixteen miles northeast of Cincinnati. George B. McClellan, a major general in the Ohio militia, chose Germany as the site for a camp. The camp was named for Ohio Governor William Dennison. Camp Dennison was strategically located near Cincinnati, the Ohio and Little Miami Rivers, and the Little Miami Railroad. The rivers and railroad provided quick transportation from various parts of Ohio and surrounding states. The presence of troops at Camp Dennison also provided Cincinnati with soldiers to protect this important manufacturing city from Confederate attack. Camp Dennison encompassed more than seven hundred acres of land.

The task of laying out the camp fell to Colonel William S. Rosecrans. Construction of barracks began in 1861. The barracks provided homes for the more than fifty thousand men who passed through the camp during the Civil War. They were located to the on both sides of the Little Miami Railroad. In 1862, military officials established a hospital on the western edge of the camp, just to the west of the railroad. It eventually held more than 2,300 sick or injured soldiers.

The soldiers at Camp Dennison usually remained in the area for only a short time. After receiving some training, military officials would send the men off to war. On July 14, 1863, men recovering at the hospital or undergoing training at Camp Dennison helped defend the camp, Little Miami Railroad, and Cincinnati from General John Hunt Morgan and his raiders. Morgan's men captured and destroyed a supply train but failed to destroy an important railroad bridge across the Little Miami River at nearby Miamiville.

Upon the Civil War's conclusion, Camp Dennison was closed. Local residents dismantled the barracks and hospital, scavenging building supplies to construct their own homes. Hoping to increase the community's population, Germany residents changed the town's name to Grand Valley, but the railroad continued to use Camp Dennison as the name of the local station.

See Also

References

  1. Cahill, Lora, and David L. Mowery. Morgan's Raid Across Ohio: The Civil War Guidebook of the John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail. Columbus, OH: Cincinnati Historical Society, 2014.  
  2. Dee, Christine, ed. Ohio's War: The Civil War in Documents. Athens: Ohio University Press, 2007.  
  3. Leeke, Richard. A Hundred Days to Richmond: Ohio's "Hundred Days" Men in the Civil War. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1999.  
  4. Reid, Whitelaw. Ohio in the War: Her Statesmen, Generals and Soldiers. Cincinnati, OH: Clarke, 1895.  
  5. Roseboom, Eugene H. The Civil War Era: 1850-1873. Columbus: Ohio State Archaeological and Historical Society, 1944.  
  6. Sloan, Mary Rahn. History of Camp Dennison, Ohio Third Edition. Cincinnati: Queen City Printing, 2003.