Borromeo College of Ohio
In 1886, the Society of Jesus established St. Ignatius College in Cleveland, Ohio. Saint Ignatius was the founder of the Society of Jesus, an order within the Roman Catholic Church, more commonly referred to as the Jesuits. In 1923, St. Ignatius College became John Carroll University, named after John Carroll, the first Catholic archbishop in the United States. Twelve years later, the university relocated to a suburb of Cleveland known as University Heights. During the 1968-1969 school year, John Carroll University admitted women for the first time, making the institution coeducational, but limited women to enrolling only in the College of Arts and Sciences.
Borromeo College of Ohio originally began as a separate institution, founded by Archbishop Edward Hoban in 1954. In 1979, the Capuchins from the St. Augustine Province in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, came to the Diocese of Cleveland and joined the Borromeo community. Today, Borromeo College, now called Borromeo Seminary, is affiliated with John Carroll University. Borromeo students attend regular academic classes at John Carroll University and receive seminary training at Borromeo Seminary. Borromeo Seminary only admits men. Most of these students are training to become Catholic priests. Borromeo College is located in Wickliffe, Ohio, and serves as the seminary for the Diocese of Cleveland.