Baum Village

From Ohio History Central
Revision as of 15:18, 24 April 2013 by (Talk)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
File:Arrowheads.jpg
The three arrowheads in this picture include (from left to right) a Fort Ancient point, a Levanna point, and a Madison point.

The Baum Village site is a large village of the Fort Ancient culture (AD 1000-1650) located along Paint Creek in Ross County, Ohio. The village covered more than ten acres and included more than 49 houses, 127 burials, and 234 storage pits. There was a flat-topped pyramid-shaped mound at the center of the village. The mound was 120 feet wide at the base and fifteen feet high.

The village was located near the Baum Earthworks, which was a ceremonial center built by the Hopewell culture (100 BC - AD 500).

Ohio Historical Society archaeologists Warren K. Moorehead and William C. Mills directed excavations at the Baum Village site between 1897 and 1903.

The Baum Village site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. [[Category:{$topic}]]